Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Doctors and Concerts Don't Mix

This morning I had scheduled the kids' 4 and 2 year well checks at the doctors. I was under the impression that Soren would be getting shots and Olivia wouldn't need shots until before Kindergarten. Boy was I wrong. Soren didn't need any shots, only a finger prick to test of lead poisoning. Olivia on the other hand needed 4 shots. Yikes! This wasn't the best planning as her preschool concert was later in the day. As soon as she realized she was getting shots she got herself all worked up and there wasn't a person in that clinic that wasn't aware that she didn't need shots as she screamed, "I don't need shots. I don't need shots. No shots! No shots!" It took two nurses and myself to hold her down, she fought so hard. She wiggled away for one of them and drew a little bit more blood and would most likely end up bruising. She hobbled on out of the office and cried every time she touched her legs. After lunch she laid down whimper and took a nice long nap. I expected her to wake up refreshed, but instead she woke up and continued to cry and whimper. I even tried letting her watch a movie to help her forget about them, but that didn't work either. I wasn't sure if the concert was going to happen so I told her that she just may have to skip the concert. She didn't like that idea either and really wanted to put her dress on. I told her if we put it on then she HAD to stop crying to show us she was ready to go and sing. She tried really hard and by the time her hair was done and dress on, she had stopped crying. She did well at the concert and we didn't see one tear! I had been trying to take the band aids off all day, so as we were enjoying an evening snack after the concert, I just reached over and took them off. She cried but them stopped when she saw the skin under the band aid. "Hmmm....Mommy the skin is all new. How did that happen?" This comment really showed us how she had let her imagination run wild thinking that the skin under the band aids would be all bloody and disfigured. As soon as the band aids were off the drama stopped. If I'd only have known that taking the band aids off would have stopped all that crying...now I know!

Wounded Soldier

Singing like a Champ!


Receiving her Certificate of Completion

Friends




1 comment:

The Paine Family said...

Pretty dress Olivia! We wish we could have been to your concert.