Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nap Time turns into Reading Time

Well, it looks like these days of Olivia actually napping (she was sick in this photo) are just about over. She only naps after we have had some busy days or weekends. So, I have decided to take advantage of this time to do some activities with just her. We either get out a puzzle or game that is difficult to do when Soren is awake because he is a bit on the destructive side of things right now. Sometimes we do crafts or sit and talk over a cup of tea.


But then one blustery day, I had made an unusually stop at Yonkers (which is right next to Old Navy) to check on some sale items. As we walked to the car I had Soren all bundled up in my arms and I was kind of pulling Olivia by the arm because she wasn't walking very fast and it was VERY cold. I noticed that she was studying...not just looking...but studying and her lips were moving a little. As I was getting the kids buckled into the van, she asked, "Does that word say 'old'? I asked her why she thought that and she proceeded with "Well, doesn't o say /o/, and l say /l/ and d say /d/?" Why, yes it does! At this point our nap time activities became known as "school time." She loves getting out all the letters and games and reading books. We only do this more academic focus for about 15-20 minutes. I try to stay very mindful that she isn't quite four and I follow her cue about what she wants to do when Soren is sleeping. We end up doing reading activities about 3 days out of the week. Since Erik is traveling during the week for work, she is always so excited to show Daddy what she learned each week. So, here is our budding reader...

No comments: