Friday, June 20, 2008

Swimming Like A Fish?

With the arrival of summer comes the season of swimming! After many years of lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons, I thought this would be a great time for Olivia to start official swimming lessons. During this experience I was reminded of my time teaching level one swimming lessons. It seemed each class had a few kids with no fear and would just jump in and go for it, then a few more that were cautious, but you could be easily coaxed, and then there was always that one kid; the kid that screamed bloody murder and had their arms wrapped in a death wrap around thier mother's leg. Yup, you guessed it, I am now the mother of that screamer. Wow, how did this happen? I started reflecting and realized that Olivia really has had limited exposure to swimming pools. She has been in a lot of little blow up pools, and played at the beach's edge in Dubai, but never really a swimming pool that was this large. The good news is that everyday she got a little bravier and by the end of the 2 weeks, I sat on the side and watched her blow a few bubbles. Did she pass? No, but did we ever have many victories to celebrate!

No comments: